Thursday, May 18, 2006

Flowers

Bethany just brought me two flowers, "One for you and one for Mary" she explains (apparently as a reward for nursing). She brings me flowers almost every day. Little flowers that get lost on the counter and big flowers that take all her might just to pick (can anyone say, "iceplant"?). She loves it. And she does it with enthusiasm and joy. I must admit, at times I find it more than a little distracting. I even made a new rule that she could only bring me new flowers when the old ones in the vases are dead. She forgets. I get more flowers.

So it happened today like it does on so many other days. But something inside of me clicked today that doesn't usually happen. Instead of seeing dried petals in a couple days, or murkey water I will need to clean... again, or even the immediate work of getting a new vase and putting this latest bouquet in a place of honor - all I saw was the heart of this precious little girl and what God gave her for the rest of us. Flowers. Can you imagine a world where people just give out of their hearts based on their talents and passions, regardless of what the response was? I mean seriously, as adults who have been corrupted by bitterness and dissapointment we tend to give people one chance... if they are lucky! And if they blow that then we are done. After all, we have better things to do than, "let that person walk all over me". And by the way, "who do they think we are, someone that just sits there waiting for them to call us?" I mean really, "I have better things to do with my time than continue to pursue them when they have done so little to show me any appreciation lately."

Jesus says in Matthew 18:3 Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. So today I am going to work to enjoy all Bethany's flowers. Because ultimately she is the one on the right track, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment