Friday, January 26, 2007

Blah Blah Blah

I have a tendency to say, "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." 5 times. No more, no less. My children hear me say this rather frequently. For instance, if I am in the laundry room with the washer going, and Christopher is trying to talk to me from the kitchen I just yell, "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah" so he knows I can't hear him. I also use it when I have forgotten something important and Christopher is reminding me of it, as if to say (and completely in jest) - Yea, you thought that was important but what do you know? It earns me a huge grin with TLs (tickle loves) every time. Now, you might be wondering why I needed to give you this back story. Or perhaps you think this IS the story. But you should know me better than that... there must be a better punch line than TLs. There is.

My mom, aka Nana, was over for dinner this past week, and asked me when I was going to, "start school back up again?" I explained a little about our work with delayed academics, and she was satisfied, but curious to know when I might start working with addition and subtraction concepts for the girls. It was a definite moment when what I believed was put to the test - when was I going to deal with those very necessary concepts? But the truths of our conviction also held steady, because we HAVE dealt with those concepts through baking, educational computer games, well even the addition of each new sibling. I explained this to my mom, and even extolled how the girls had taken addition to the natural next level and begun to do multiplication. My mom was excited to hear this (this is your hint to be amazed at how cool my kids are too *wink*), and even tested them with a few simple problems. The girls did very well (although we have not covered multiplication by 0 - so don't test them on that when you come over).

Hannah was especially animated in explaining how any number, times 1 was that number. And somehow this led into a conversation of adding 1 to very large numbers, things like 2067 plus 1. Hannah and Bethany both were becoming very proud of their answers so my mom decided to really push the limit.

"Okay Hannah, what is 465,371 plus 1?"

Hannah didn't even skip a beat.

"Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, 2."



I think that is a MUCH better punch line than TLs. Right?

1 comment: