Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday's Tip

Invest in People.

What do King Tut and John D. Rockefeller have in common? When they died they left everything behind. Everything. Not an ounce of gold left Tut's tomb until it was discovered some 4000 years later. He wasn't spending it in the "afterlife." When someone asked Rockefeller's accountant how much he left behind when he died the answer was, "He left it all." All.

Working your fingers to the bone in order to leave it all behind doesn't sound like much fun to me. But knowing that I could die at any moment, and that I am at peace about the relationships I have with my loved ones brings far greater joy than a bank account with 7 zeros - shoot even a consistent two zeros!

I am not recommending that you don't work hard, invest wisely, save some for that rainy day. No, being a good steward of the resources God has seen fit to bless you with is important. But really, the stuff is just stuff. It is not going to do you an ounce of good when you have left this earth. And, frankly, I think most of it is not very good even while you are here! It just makes you feel tied down, imprisoned at times, and certainly responsible for its management, upkeep, repair, and use.

No thanks.

I want to spend my time with my kids, not researching who is going to fix my antique nick-knack collection. I want to hang out with my hubby, not worry about my investments in the stock market. Sure, I want to have enough money to pay my bills, maybe spend a little extra on a nice meal once in a while; but I don't think that hoarding money, collecting a bunch of stuff, or killing time resolving who will get what in my 500 page last will and testament will make me happier... really. I don't think it will make you happier, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment